Saturday, October 9, 2010

Cardio the Fun Way (aka How To Make an Ass Out of Yourself)

Ok...so some people think standard cardio workouts are fun. Running, ellipticals, cycling, etc. I am not one of those people.

Don't get me wrong, I love the feeling I have after a cardio session. In fact, in my state of semi-unconscious, out-of-breath delirium, I think to myself, "I should totally do that again!"



However, I do not consider cardio to be fun. I think it's great (and by great, I mean that I'm insanely jealous and envious) that some people do...but I just can't become a crazy fanatic. Taking out years of pent up aggression and beating the crap out of something (aka kickboxing) is more my thing. After years of doing kick-lines Rockettes style in my dance classes, I best be putting all that money spent on lessons to good use!

Anyway, I have discovered a way that cardio CAN be fun.

(Note: I am not a personal trainer by any means. I don't even look like one. I look more like I ate one. Please do NOT consider this to be professional work-out advice. This is simply something I do because I enjoy it.)

Last Christmas, my friend Amanda and I were putting up a tree and listening to some ultra-awesome Christmas music. At one point in between randomly tossing tinsel around and trying not to break any of the hot pink bulbs, the planets aligned, clouds parted, angels started to sing, and Mariah Carey's "All I Want for Christmas" came on.

So what can two ladies do during such a heavenly moment? That's right my friends...

CHRISTMAS CARDIO DANCE PARTY!


Amanda and I danced and danced and danced until we were both sweating, red in the face, and completely out of breath. It then struck me what a fantastic work-out this could be. Ever since then, when I'm just not in the mood to do anything serious (which is always) I'll load my iTunes, select an upbeat playlist, grab my 3 lb weights, and proceed to make a complete jackass out of myself.

Jumping on the couch, shaking what my mama gave me, and pumping my arms with the weights until I just can't do it anymore.

It's fabulous.

(Another note: If you DO decide to do this, please be careful. Although I'm overweight and you wouldn't know it by my moves, I have had professional dance training and am fully aware of how much I can stretch and fling my limbs in a ridiculous manor before hurting myself. Also...much like Wii controls...beware to NOT throw the weights through any expensive items. DO NOT BE THAT PERSON.)

I'm also about 107% positive that my neighbors are now terrified of me. I consider that an added bonus.

1 comment:

  1. I love it!!! I actually caught myself in a similar moment yesterday while cleaning the house and can't remember for the life of me what the song was but I was dancing like a crazy person and the dog and cat were looking at me like I was nuts! (besides the pets, it was a rare moment that the house was empty :) ). Love your post!!! Good luck by the way!!! You'd make an awesome Mamavation Mom!

    ReplyDelete

Followers