Sunday, May 2, 2010

Mamavation Monday

This is my second ever Mamavation Monday post, but really marks the end of my first week of trying to change my overall lifestyle.

I feel like I've learned SO MUCH this week! On Wednesday, Leah (@bookieboo) officially welcomed me to the Mamavation Sistahood! YAY! The support I've received so far from everyone is amazing...it's really made this so much easier for me so far.

So since my overall goal is to lose weight (I don't have a specific target in mind, I just want to be happy with myself) and be healthier I've decided to post my official start weight: 256.8 lbs

Ugh, is it just more or does that number look way worse when typed out in a blog for all to see? Yikes!

This week my main focus has been quitting smoking and getting into the routine of working out. Although I have significantly cut back how many cigarettes I smoke a day, I haven't quit completely - this is definitely something I'll be working on for a while. I haven't been focusing on food as much because I don't want to deprive myself of food and stop smoking at the exact same time. I need a few weeks to adjust to not smoking, otherwise I feel like I'll be setting myself up for failure. However, I have been eating out MUCH less and cooking semi-healthy things at home instead (BBQ skinless chicken breast cooked on a George Foreman grill is one of my favorite quick and simple meals after work).

I started walking/running around a park close to my house when it hasn't been raining (which unfortunately hasn't been often this week) and doing P90X and Pilates videos. Wow have I been sore! I've been trying to power through muscle aches and keep on exercising...if I do it enough that soreness will go away! Also, I ordered Jillian Micharls 30 Day Shred video from Amazon.com and I can't wait for it to come in. I've heard great things about it!

As part of my new lifestyle change, my mother suggested I make a "Wish/Rewards List" of things I'd like to have that will help me on the journey. Here's what I've got so far:

-A treadmill, so I can walk and run on even the rainiest/coldest/hottest/most humid of days! (The cost of this item makes it a reward for when I reach a BIG milestone. Or for my birthday, right Mom?)
-A heart rate monitor. I feel like I've always had a really fast rate and should probably keep an eye on that.
-Wii Fit Plus and EA Sports Active for my wii. Right now I'm doing boxing on wii sports as an extra fun workout.
-Yoga DVDs or set of classes. 10 years of ballet training when I was younger has made me really flexible, and yoga helps me stretch and relax, since "normal" stretches don't do much for me.
-An aluminum water bottle
-A pair of Earth Footwear shoes. I really like the sly blue Exer-Fits! Anyone who lives in the Central Kentucky area, we can find them at Zumfit in Hamburg Pavillion and The Walking Place on Nicholasville Road.


I know, I know...not too much to ask for right? This is just a list of things for me to keep in mind as I'm working towards my goals.

I hope everyone has a fabulous week full of successes!

18 comments:

  1. Our rewards lists are about the same ;) Jillians 30 day shred will hand you your booty on a platter once you get going. But man do I loooove it. Ive been thinking of trying P90X but cant justify the cost right now. Is it really worth it? Best of luck to you on quitting smoking, Ive seen how hard it can be. My mom has smoked for about 30 years and is now trying to quit. If you ever need anything, give me a shout =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. P90X has been ridiculously difficult for me. Fortunately a friend of mine has the videos, so I didn't have to buy them myself. The videos are all 60 minutes, but I feel like I'll go into cardiac arrest after 30, so I have to do the first half and second half on different days. I haven't done a whole lot of other videos so I can't really give a good comparison, but you definitely feel the work out you're getting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love P90X and can't wait to get back to it. @angelasue79 had a lot of success lowering her heart rate with heart rate monitor training. You should hook up with her to ask about it. I highly suggest a Polar product since it measures every beat not 1/10 then averages. Good luck reaching your milestones. For now focus on those baby steps, especially with the smoking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are only 3 lbs. heavier than where I started. I'm serious. It's very doable. You are in the right place for support while you are going through this lifestyle page. But I want you to think about this. Healthy lifestyle is like a marathon, not a sprint. So when you start, don't do so much that it kills you and then you want to quit on week 2. If you find yourself starting to want that...turn things down a bit and keep going. You a learning a lifestyle and Rome was not built in a day. I'll be here along the way to cheer you on. XXOO

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you it looks worst typed out. I think thats why I haven't typed my weight out yet. I like your goal list! Now just plug them into goals...short term weight, how much water you drink, losing weight by this time. You can do it and welcome to the group! Can't wait to read more later.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, it does look worse when typed out, but you are very brave to do so!

    Welcome to Mamavation and the Sistahood.

    We're about the same weight. I would suggest not trying to do so much! I ended up trying to do too much that I hurt myself in week 2. I wouldn't get SO enthralled with trying to kill yourself working out, because you could get burnt out!

    Wishing you the best! Keep up the good work!

    <3

    Lisa
    @ljenator

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think the Wii stuff are great to start out and get you more active and build your endurance to then do the tougher stuff like the P90X.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much for all of your support! You're all fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm SOOOO glad that you are part of the Sistahood!! The support & encouragement will give you strength to face tough days. You are not in this alone, remember that!!

    I love your rewards list! Great motivation - post that on your fridge so when you reach for a snack you are reminded of those things.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, good luck to you!!! I understand about the food. You try to quit smoking & cut out all the good stuff, you are begging for failure & your fam will be begging you to start again! I still smoke when stressed (1 or 2), so I understand. You need any extra support, you know where to find me! (& great job on cutting back!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Welcome to the Sistahood!! I HIGHLY recommend getting a heart rate monitor! It's been a wonderful tool for me, I also used to have a high heart rate but thanks to a great link and advice provided by Kia, last time I went to the dr I was at 64. You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great rewards! They are an important part of the goal process. Chalk up another in-the-process-of-stopping smoker to the list...we can all be there for each other. WOOHOO! So, you are an inspiration to me in several ways. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Welcome to the Sistahood! We are here to support you in your weight loss journey! HUGS!

    @gutimom

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aren't George Foreman's fabulous! It sounds like you are getting off to a great start, and we are all here to help you. Welcome to the Sistahood! Good luck with your goal of stopping smoking. I hope that is going well so far. Have a great week!

    http://laviedelaurie.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. You're off to a great start! Good luck with quitting smoking. It's tough, but rewarding in itself. I quit about 6 years ago when I was pregnant with my first child so I quit cold turkey, but after 6 years, I definitely don't miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Excellent! That's a great wish list. The smaller changes will become part of your lifestyle. That really is the way to succeed. A little step at a time. Set a goal each week and then it becomes part of your daily routine. How is that P90X? We do a lot of that in boot camp classes at the YMCA. It's a tough class.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Welcome to the Sistahood. Good luck with quitting smoking, I know it's hard ~ my hubs and I have both quit. Take it one day at a time and don't beat yourself up when you slip up. Have a happy and healthy week.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Keep it up girlie!! I hear great things about the P90x videos! keep us updated on how they are working!

    ReplyDelete

Followers