Monday, September 6, 2010

Tasty Tuesday - Roasted Potatoes and Frozen Veggies

Ok people...for the past few weeks I've been harboring a deep fear of winter. Not because of snow or ice or freezing miserable-ness, but because of food. See, I started this weight loss journey in late April...right when fresh fruits and vegetables were becoming bountiful. Now that fall and winter are approaching, I just don't know what I'm going to do without fresh fruits and veggies at my fingertips.

Life is hard.

So today, I embarked on a frozen/canned adventure. I'm really not a fan of canned ANYTHING. When I was younger, pretty much everything I ate came out of a can. Vegetables, ravioli, spaghettio-os, etc. That's probably part of the reason I ended up being over 200 lbs. Canned goods can harbor all sorts of nastyness, but I'm a broke-ass 22 year old with limited options. Here's how I made the best out of a non-ideal sitation, in preparation for winter cooking:

Roasted Potatoes and Frozen Veggies

Ingredients:

-1 can whole new potatoes (find a kind with very little or no added salt)
-Frozen Veggies (I used a California medley: broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots...but you can use whatever the hell you want to)
-Onion
-Garlic powder
-Creole/Cajun Seasoning
-Parsley
-Salt and Pepper
-Olive Oil

Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees.

Drain and rinse a whole can of potatoes. Cut up any larger potatoes to whatever size you like...I ended up halving most of mine. Add in desired amount of frozen vegetables. I ended up using about 1 cup...you can add less for fewer servings or add more for more nutritious and numerous servings. Honestly, I just used what was left in the bag. Chop about 1/4 cup of onion. Put these ingredients in a mixing bowl and toss with about 2 tbsp of olive oil.

Spread mixture out on a tin foil lined cookie sheet. Season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, parsley, and cajun seasoning as desired. Really, you can season these however you want. I love cajun seasoning because it always brings something unique to the table. And I'm obsessed with New Orleans.

Roast in oven for 7-10 minutes. Flip veggies and re-season as necessary (note: I used enough seasoning the first time around so I didn't have to add any more). Roast anther 5 minutes or so until tender.

In my opinion, this is a quick and easy side dish you can make year-round. If you're making this in the summer, I highly recommend using all fresh ingredients. Adjust the cooking time accordingly - it will take longer since your potatoes aren't already cooked.

I also considered adding shredded cheese to the top of this in the last minute or two of cooking, but had already had enough dairy for the day and really didn't need the extra calories. I bet it would be delicious though!

2 comments:

  1. The great thing about this recipe is you can have the ingredients on hand and make it as a side dish if you are in a pinch. If you plan ahead, you can probably make this out of fresh veggies in the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is similar to what I do, but I use fresh potatoes (quartered and boiled for 10-15 mins since they take a little longer to cook). I usually add onion, tomato, brussel sprouts and whatever mixed veges I have on hand--toss all in a little olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic (sometimes I add rosemary). It's really great anytime with any protein. I wouldn't add cheese, myself... it's delicious how it is and would just add unneeded calories. I'll have to try the cajun seasoning some time. Seems that would be great served with bbq anything. :) Thumbs up for your recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Followers